Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Spooky Ghost Day in China

By Richard

As far as I know, Halloween is a funny and happy festival in Europe and North America. But on the other hand, we have a spooky ghost day in China. It is opposite completely. In fact, Chinese ghost day is scary and unhappy. It is on July 14 in the Chinese lunar calendar.

In local folklore,the gates of the underworld are opened and ghosts are free to roam among the living. Sometimes they like to annoy people.

On that day, too many Chinese burn some gold and silver paper for the ghosts and spirits. It's because the Chinese believe that it can appease the wayward ghosts and lonely spirits.

The ceremony was taking place on the sidewalk that night. In my city, Macau, my government allows people to burn the offering for the ghosts at that time.

As for me, I took some photos to show you how to burn the offering in this Chinese ghost day.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Richard.
    Do you know me??haha
    Anyhow, I didn't know about the Chinese "Halloween".
    That is very interested for me, because we don't have that kind of event in Japan.

    Thank you for sharing us about Chinese culture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course!I know,Chiharu.U're a active girl.Onthe other hand,Do U know who am I?...Ric7hard Chen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Richard!
    Of course I know you!!!
    I used to see you around my house. I know you are good at skateboard!!
    Anyhow, let's endure cold weather~^^ haha

    ReplyDelete