Monday, December 8, 2008

Coming of Age Day in Japan

By Aya Nishimura

The coming of age ceremony is celebrated on the second Monday of January. Its Japanese name is "Seijin no hi." It was established as a national holiday in 1948.

On this day, all young people who turn 20 years old in that year take part in a coming of age ceremony. In Japan, twenty is the age considered as the beginning of adulthood. It is also the minimum legal age for voting, drinking, and smoking. The ceremonies are now usually organized by local governments, but they are sometimes also hosted by schools, companies, and public organizations.

These days, men generally wear business suits to the ceremony, although once in a while men wearing dark-colored kimonos can be seen. Almost all women choose to wear traditional Furisode. A furisode is a style of kimono with long sleeves that drape down. Also, women wear special white fur collars. A full furisode kimono can cost as much as a new car. Some families might rent one or pass one from mother to daughter.

In fact, I'm 21 years old now. so I have attended a coming of age ceremony already. I also wore a pink furisode that day. It was precious day for me because I don't have many chances to wear a furisode though I'm a Japanese girl. Maybe I won't wear a furisode for a while.

It is the memory that is unforgettable for me on the coming of age day.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for telling us about Coming of Age Day. It sounds very exciting. I can't imagine an outfit costing as much as a new car!!! Everyone looks very beautiful in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!
    You look so beatiful~!!
    My Frisode's color is also pink!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi~Aya
    Thank you for telling me your national traditional holiday.
    It's very nice.You're very beautiful.
    XD~

    ReplyDelete