Sunday, October 19, 2008

Engraved in my Heart and Mind: The Satisfaction of First Time Experiences

By Viviana Rodriguez

“We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.”

(T.S. ELIOT)

Colombia, the country where I was born and didn’t leave for more than 60 days is one of the best places on earth for me. It offers hundreds of different activities to do and places to go. Unfortunately, the pressures of daily life and probably the inescapable routine most of the time didn’t let me enjoy those wonderful “gifts.” Growing up and starting to make my own way in life is already enough work for me, so the time I used to have to try new things is reducing day by day. Now that I am far away from home, I’ve been missing and thinking about millions of things I could have done down there. On the other hand, being out of my country is already an experience and a “gift” that life has giving to me. Being able to know a different culture, language, people, and customs is, for sure, one of the stories and experiences I will tell to my grandchildren. Living in Canada has been an exciting and challenging experience in my life, but is also giving me opportunities and an amazing feeling of satisfaction that first time experiences can give.

A perfect weather and a calm river set an amazing scene for my first canoe riding experience. It was around 5:30 in the afternoon and it was one of the best days you can get in summer season. We were at Moberly Lake, in a dream-like place with a lovely house kind of hiding between the bright green trees in July. The place just seems out of a children’s story, so comfortable, cosy and beautiful. I felt so happy, full of energy and hungry for knowledge, with every emotion inspired by that place and wonderful company. Actually, that day we had been talking about canoes because we met a group of voyageurs from Quebec who were following the same route as Alexander Mackenzie. They were carrying a really heavy canoe made out of birch bark, which they would ride at some point through the Peace River. So, my mind was already thinking about canoes and how it would feel to be into one of those.

I wasn’t expecting to ride a canoe that day, but it was certainly one of the most peaceful and relaxing experiences and surprises in my life. I remember I was the first one saying, “I want to try,” when my friend just asked if somebody wanted to go for a ride; so, I got a lifejacket on, which, in fact, reminded me of my country because it had the same colors that are in my country’s flag. We pulled out the canoe, which wasn’t as heavy as the one the voyageurs were carrying, and I got into it with some extra help. There was enough room for about four people but we took turns in pairs, so it was just my friend and I. I got the nicer place in the canoe, right in the front; thus, I had the best view. In fact, because I had this place, it gave me the inexpressible feeling of moving on top of the water without touching it. Touching the water without feeling it, that was mind-blowing.

Another staggering thing was the landscape around us; it was just a perfect complement for the experience. I used to think that those peaceful and perfect places that Hollywood movies showed and only famous actors “enjoy,” are just fake and temporary paradises, but actually they are real and even better. A subtle breeze somewhat cleaned my mind up and let the moment registered in my memories. The trees made a lovely and sonorous sound that I will never forget. Those 15 or so minutes were the most fabulous moments I’ve ever spent on a lake, even on the ocean. There couldn’t be a better first time experience in a canoe than that one. I remember wanting to stay there for the rest of the day.



The first time I “traveled” in a train wasn’t in an ordinary train. It was such a fantastic drive through the old days. It took place in the Heritage Park in Calgary, Alberta, a stunning place where I really felt as if I were walking in a village back in the old days. The “inhabitants” of the village were ordinary people who really deserve an Oscar. They really made me feel as if I were in the 1800s, from the moment I entered the park and during the whole time I was there.



Many times back home, I planned to go on a train ride, but as I said before, the occupations of daily life kept me so busy that I didn’t have the chance to do it. Nowadays, I think it was better not to have the experience back then. A first time experience should be as memorable and magic as it was in Calgary. The experience in the train was preceded by a nice talk with a group of ladies who told us about their duty on that day, a harmonious piano melody at the church and the most delicious butter tart I’ve ever had.

The train conductors were such kind, gentle and knowledgeable men who loved their job. They also had the patience to answer all kinds of questions tourists like me usually ask. They explained to me how the train schedule worked back in those days, how long it took from city to city and how important this kind of transportation system was and how it changed history.

Meanwhile, I was also joyful watching the passengers, who were a group of beautiful and full of life girls from a summer camp. They all wore a kind of a white uniform that made them look so lovely and innocent. That scene put me right back in the past. The train was a magnificent, imposing and functional machine from the 1800s. It was so pleasing to be sitting in one of the most useful devices accompanied by such a peculiar passengers and crew, who made me notice and appreciate the importance of that wonderful engine.

My final “first-time” experience was my first English concert. It was so unlike what I thought it would be. I’ve been to some concerts in my life: Juanes’ concert, Carlos Vives’ concert, and La Oreja de Van Gogh’ concert, but all of them were Spanish concerts. Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings was the first English band concert I have attended. It was on September 20 and it was an unexpected plan. A friend of mine called me and asked me if I had any plan for that night. She picked me up and we drove to Dawson Creek, BC. To be honest, I didn’t recognize any of the names of the performers and I was wondering how it would be.

.My past experiences in concerts were a little rambunctious and not so calm or organized as I remember. I must admit, I thought it would be more rowdy because it was a rock music concert. I was very surprised when I entered the EnCana Events Centre and saw all those chairs perfectly numbered and organized. Very different from what I experienced before in the Spanish concerts, when you had to stand up between three and six hours to get a little closer to the singer. During the show, in the concerts I’ve attended, people usually jump, scream, and sometimes cry, but in this concert, I was amazed by the people listening and singing in a way you can tell for sure they were caring about and enjoying the music. This was music from the 60’s so maybe that will make some difference, but for sure it was real music.

I was so happy when I recognized one of the songs they were playing but even more excited when my friend told me that it was the original song and its authors. It was “American Woman” song. I’ve hear that song before, from the Lenny Kravitz version, but now, when I’ve heard the original one, I think it sounds much better in Randy Bachman's and Burton Cummings' voices. The more the time passed, the more excited the crowd got, the same as the singers. I enjoyed so much watching the audience closing their eyes and singing the songs with such a deep passion that I could easily guess what a great time they had in their youth and therefore what a happy memories the music brought to their minds. I am sure that was real and pure music. I felt touched by those musicians and the audience so much so that, by the time we had to go, I was one of the people who asked for one more song. I was amazed, surprised and astonished in that concert. Not just for the well done spectacle that the rock stars gave, but also for the impressive behaviour from the audience who, in my opinion, really knew how to enjoy good music.

First time experiences are not always the best experiences a person can get from any activity or situation. Sometimes the first experience of something new can be so frustrating that it might leave disagreeable memories or even fears that could take people apart from nicer moments. Fortunately, that is not my case, at least not in Canada. I love my country, Colombia, and of course there are many wonderful memories of first time experiences there too, but Canada is also becoming a country that is giving me lots of remarkable experiences that will be engraved in my mind and my heart for ever.

6 comments:

  1. first of all, it is a long and clean writing. A knowledgeable quotation touched my curiosity of this writing. i have never tried those things before. canoeing, travelling by train, and attending a concert will also be my first time experiances in my furture. Thank you for shared those first time experiances. I agree with that some experiances are painful, harmful, and fearful. However, i will think those experiances as some challenges. they can destroy you, but it can also help you. someone told me "if it didn't kill you, it will make you strong." I truly understood and agree with that. i hope you will enjoy your life in Canada. at the end, Thank you for your sharing again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! and thanks for your coment Andrew. I know it is a little bit long, so I aprreciate so much you took the time to read it. And I also agree with that person. Hard experiences just make us strong.
    Sure you will have nice first time experiences too.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm not a native English speaker, but to show respect to the other posters I will do my best in this language.

    I must agree with the comment from devilandgold. IMHO, this is a very rich and imaginative narration, successful at depicting the feelings conveyed by such first time experiences. As a Colombian,I can imagine what Vivi was talking about, and I guess I would feel pretty much the same way in those situations, but I could hardly describe it as well as she does. My favorite part is her description of the way she felt on that canoe.

    Certainly many things are way different over there, in Canada, but IMO each place in the world has its own charm, and this article remarks that from those places so well it makes me want to spend some time there. Well done, Vivi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m impress about how clean the grammar and composition is. It’s a really nice narration.

    Well done! I really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mi querida vivi, te quería decir que el ensayo está muy bonito porque hablas de las experiencias que has tenido en ese país y lo narras como si fuera un cuento... y serviría para hacer una historia porque hablas de lo que has conocido y has hecho etc, además también es una forma de libre expresión para ti.

    ReplyDelete