Tuesday, November 22, 2011

How Can I Teach My Sons to Be Polite?

By Emika Uetake

Recently, some children’s manners are so bad. They don’t be quiet when they should be quiet like during classes. They can’t say “Thank you” or “Sorry.” In Japan, TV shows sometimes feature stories about classes that have “collapsed” because students bully a teacher. I think there are a lot of way of teaching my sons to be polite, but you should grasp these three points: greeting, teaching what not to do, and showing your behavior politely.

Do your sons say, “Good morning” every day? Greetings help us to make friends, to start a conversation calmly, and to make a good first impression. Even if they say just, “Hi,” it is good as the first step.

I have a brother. When I argue with my brother, and we say back words to each other, my mother used to say, “Don’t say things which you don’t want people to say.” This phrase can be said about behavior. For instance, when your older son hits your younger son, you shouldn’t say just “No.” Children react easily if adults scold them without letting the children explain. Children like asking, so they always ask, “Why can’t I do that? Why? Why?” Then this phrase is also useful to satisfy children.

When my mother started working at a suit shop near our house, I went there because I forgot to bring my house key. Then she was standing upright, talking with customers very politely. Basically, my mother doesn’t stand upright when informally talking with me and my brother or friend. I have never seen such a thing about my mother. I respected her again. Children grow up seeing parents’ behavior and like imitating them. Have you ever put your mother’s high heels on? Imitating your behavior is the same. It isn’t to imitate all your behavior, but you don’t forget what children are susceptible to.

I think your sons will be polite because you notice what children need

No comments:

Post a Comment