Monday, December 12, 2011

My Ideal Person: Norihiro Akahoshi

by Yuri Kubota

If I could meet a famous athlete, I would like to meet a baseball player who used to belong to a professional baseball team called the Hanshin Tigers. His name is Norihiro Akahoshi. He is not a professional baseball player anymore; however, many people still respect him. There are three reasons why I would like to meet him.


First of all, he makes up for his defects. He is actually not tall enough for a baseball player so almost all of the professional teams did not want him – only the Hanshin Tigers were interested in him so he decided to play his whole life in the team even though he became really popular later. He has got the Most Stolen Bases title three times. Every time I see him play on TV, I feel like no one is perfect, even professional athletes, and he always makes me want to work harder for my dream.

Second, he never plays baseball just for money. He sends a day-care place wheelchairs as many wheelcheirs as he succeeds in his base stealing every year at the end of the baseball season. Moreover, he volunteered for collecting money to help the earthquake victims last April. It was such a cold rainy day; however, he collect money hardly .

Finally, he still keeps showing us to hold onto our dreams even though he retired from his professional baseball life. He actually ended up giving up playing baseball as a professional player since he got injured seriously when he was in a game. The doctor said to him “ if you get injured on the same part as you got injured again, you might die.” Although the t igers could have waited for his coming back after his oparation, he decided to retire because he thought he did not want to stay on the team just for money. Lots of fans were shocked by his retirement and so was I. However, he started working as a sports commentator and he still keeps showing us the joy of playing baseball.

For these three reasons, if I could meet a famous athlete, I would like to meet Norihiro Akahoshi. I had never believed that one person could change others’ feelings or motivation by showing us his/her play until I got to know him. You will see how great a person he is if you see him play.

No comments:

Post a Comment