Monday, December 5, 2011

Book Review: The Talking Tree and Other Stories

By Ayako Suzuki

Today, I’m going to introduce this book. This book is called The Talking Tree and Other Stories. The author is David McRobbie. There are 13 stories and some pictures in this book. I’m going to introduce one of them.


It is called “The Talking Tree.” The main character is Zain. He is in the forest and hungry. When he is looking for some fruit to eat, he finds a tree with a big hole. He thought, “What a good hiding place! No one can find me.” His voice sounds strange when he is in the tree. It seems much longer. Then, he starts singing a song.

When Zain is singing, his friends pass beside the tree and hear his strange voice. Zain’s friend said, “The singing voice is coming from somewherem, but I can’t see anyone.” Then suddenly, Zain speaks slowly, “Ali and Abu! What are you doing on my land?” Ali and Abu were frightened. “I’m the talking tree. Everything in the forest belongs to me. While you are here, you must obey me. If you don’t I will come to your home and take you away when you are sleeping. Now, go and get something to eat for me.”

Ali and Abu obeyed. They went to get some food for the talking tree. A few minutes later, they came back with some fruit. They put some fruit at the bottom of the tree. Zain said, “You have to come here with some food again tomorrow morning.” After they went, Zain was smiling and laughing.

However, when Ali and Abu are walking, Ali said, “I don’t think that’s a talking tree. Did you see those foot prints near the tree? I think someone was hiding there and tricking us.” Abu said, “Oh, really? I didn’t notice. But let’s hide and see if anyone comes from that direction.”

A few minutes later, they saw Zain. Zain is walking a path and carrying some fruit. “It’s Zain!” Then, they thought about how to take revenge on Zain. The next morning, Zain is already standing of the tree. Then, Ali and Abu came here. “Good morning! We brought a juice pot! I shall climb up to the top of your tree and pour it for you.”

Zain was surprised and shouted, “Hey! NO! Don’t do that!” But Abu is climbing the tree. Then, Abu poured the juice over Zain’s head. Zain cried as the drink went into his nose and eyes. He couldn’t bear it. Finally, Zain shouted, “You must never come near the talking tree again! Go away!”
Ali and Abu said with laughing, “All right! We will obey!” They walked away through the forest.

I recommend this book because there are a lot of happy endings in this book. This book has 13 stories, so I didn’t get tired when I was reading.

1 comment: