Monday, November 3, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving Day!

By Jessica Shiga

I spent a good time on October 12, Sunday. It was great! Everything was for the first time for me.

I made turkey with my hostmother. It weighs 6.7 kg but I hear even this is a relatively small one. I was very surprised! Turkey neck appeared from inside so I was surprised again. First, we cleaned the turkey. Second, we made stuffing. The ingredients of stuffing are cut bread, cut onions, cut celeries, salt, pepper, chicken soup, and so on. Third, we put stuffing in the turkey. Next, it was put in a big container and then we poured chicken soup in the container. Finally, it was baked in a casserole in the oven. I was looking forward to the completion.

After several hours, the turkey was baked to a perfect brown. The smell was really good. Of course, taste was really good too.

That day, I ate dinner at my hostparents' daughter's house. We had a meal with total sixteen people and many dishes lined up at the table. For example, turkey with cranberry sauce and gravy, mashed potatoes, mashed turnip, sweet potatoes, cabbage rolls, fruit salad, coleslaw, perogies with sour cream and bacon bits, dressing (= stuffing), pickled beets, cherry tomatoes, homemade bread, pumpkin pie and lemon pie.












I felt happy to sit around with many people I like very much and many dishes. Moreover, there was a wonderful present for me. It was from my hostparents' granddaughter, who made a work at elementary school. She wrote a card:

Thank you for my loved home.
Thank you for my yummy chicken! .
Thank you for my special life.
Thank you for my friend Rena.Thank you for my teacher.
but I'm mostly thankful for my Mom and Dad.
Happy thanksgiving!








I was overjoyed at this. My first Thanksgiving Day was a great day for me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi!Rena!
    How are you? I read your diary^^
    You must have good time with your hostfamily^^ I really envy you though^^;
    Thant letter from granddauter: "Thank you for my friend Rena." is so cute!!!
    I think, your hostfamily is really nice^^ I hope you will enjoy more with your hostfamily^^

    bye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine
    thank you for your comment.
    i spending good time with hostfamily.
    i love my hostfamily!
    probably i'm goiong to miss my hostfamily when i came back Japan.


    u will come again in my house!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow~it's a big supper. I can tell why u were so happy. The peom is so good. I remember my hostfamily and I went to hunting on Thanksgiving Day, but we'd had Turkey on the sunday before Thanksgiving Day. On Thanksgiving Day, we had harm and bean. It's delicious, but I think it's not as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete