Monday, May 30, 2011

Visiting the Doig River First Nation

By Misato Taniguchi

It was the first time to watch the process of making the hide. I was impressed by their movements because there is no waste. I watched their performance, full of admiration. They use primitive tools in all processes. I really wanted the whole hide as a hammock but they said that it may cost $700-$1,200! But if we watch all the process, we can accept the price for the hide. It is a valid price. It takes almost one month to make it be completed. And it is a perfect handmade item.

It was also the first time for me to meet First Nations. I sensed a kind of closeness because their face resembles ours. They speak in clear and sonorous voice. Their tanned face looks a little stern but whenever they smile, it is really calm and gentle.

The finny thing was that an old woman used packaged beef instead of the moose to show us how to smoke it! We burst out laughing with her. She grinned at us.

I had a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment