Monday, May 30, 2011

Doig River First Nation

By Kotomi Taniguchi

I went to see First Nations yesterday. It was one of my great experiences for me in Canada. First I rode a yellow school bus to get to there. It was exciting for me because we don’t have a yellow bus like that. I’ve seen it only in a drama or movie. Next, when I got there, I saw how to make cloth from a moose skin. Some First Nations women showed us how to do it. They were using bones and wood as tools. It was ethnic and very interesting, but the moose skin was a little bit grotesque for me. Third, I ate bannock, a traditional bread. I burned it with fire, and I ate it with jam. It had no taste without jam, so I was wondering how First Nations eat this in the old days. After that, I saw many animal pelts there. It was hard to see and I smelled something very bad. I couldn’t touch it. Later, I listened to a First Nations story and I could talk with the First Nations speaker (story-teller). He told me about their old life with horses. It was really interesting. As last, I saw traditional dance. I thought it is simple and the music isn’t rhythmical like nowadays, but their clothes were really fashionable. I like ethnic clothes very much. This experience was a great experience for me because I don’t have a chance to meet them (First Nations) in Japan. I never forget this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment