Friday, December 11, 2009

The Effects of Climate on Lifestyle

By Sanae Fukuda

Today is 13° C in Tokyo. When I lived in Tokyo, I thought that it’s cold today, so I protect against cold goodly such as I worn many clothes, a mitten and a hat. However, today is -20° C in Fort St. John. This temperature is the coldest I had ever experienced, so I’m scared of this temperature. This temperature gives me many experiences. These also are not only good things, but also bad things. There are both bad and good effects of cold weather on our life style.

One is cold temperature gives me bad things. First, this temperature makes me lazy. I can’t get up in the morning because outside is still dark even at 8:00 a.m. In the summer, it was bright almost all the time. It was called Night under the midnight sun. I couldn’t sleep early due to that. In the winter, I also don’t want to go to outside. Second, when I first arrived, I hadn’t adjusted to the cold temperature yet, so I can get a cold easily. Therefore, I have to keep my body warmer than when I lived in Tokyo. Third, I have to buy special clothes that I have never worn in Japan. These clothes are expensive, so I have to spend a lot of money or else I will be freeze. Fourth, when I went to grocery stores, I thought that some vegetables are expensive. I think it has a close relation to climate because growing vegetables is very hard in this temperature. Therefore, almost all products are imported from other places. Fifth, the ground is covered with heavy snow. Therefore, transportations effect from snow. Sometimes I used a bus, but I always waited for a bus. When I was waiting for a bus in the outside, I was almost dead. Finally, this temperature destroys our environment because we always have to turn on a heater.

Another is cold temperature gives me good things. However, good things are less than bad things. First, this temperature makes strong body because when I lived in Tokyo, I always felt cold and then I had a cold easily. However, now that I have adjusted to this temperature, I have hardly had a cold since I have been staying in here. Second, I can enjoy with snow such as make a snowman, a snow angel, snow fight and so on. I want to make a house which is made of snow in this year. The best thing is that we can see the northern lights. About 2 weeks ago, I saw the northern lights. It was amazing. I think the northern lights are one of the most beautiful phenomenons of nature.

Today is December 8th. I’m still reacting to Fort St. John’s cold temperature even now. Therefore, I’m worrying about temperatures that will be colder than now. However, after I pass the winter time here, I will get a tough body. When I go back to Japan, I will wear a T-shirt even in winter time because I won’t feel cold.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Sanae!
    I also feel that Canada's winter had made me strong. Good luck building your house of snow.

    ReplyDelete